Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Month 3 Slump

Hello again!
I know it's been a while, but I've been going through some stuff and Ben was gone in GR for 12 days so I was really busy and really tired. However, I wanted to get some stuff written down because on Saturday we are leaving for Cebu in the Phillipines so I know I'll have a lot to write about when we get back.

My last post was about our trip to Moganshan so I have a lot to cover! We got back from that trip on a Sunday afternoon and on the following Wednesday Ben left for Grand Rapids for 12 days. It was really weird to have him go home while we stayed here. I was glad that he was able to see our friends and family and enjoy the many comforts of Western living, but, it was like 85 and sunny there and it was 40 and rainy here. We have had maybe 3 days of sun since we arrived on December 29 so I was in some serious need of some vitamin D.

In our expat training they warned us that month 3 tends to be the hardest on an expat. You've survived the initial arrival and are somewhat settled. Now reality sets in that your here to stay and that you have along way to go before you're done. You become homesick and the survival thing gets old and you start to think, what have we done???

Well, I was there. Big time. Ben being home, little sunshine, lots of cold, being on my own here...I was not well.

On that Thursday, the 15th, our rented furniture finally arrived so that actually helped me feel better because it gave me something to organize. I also hung some pictures and it was feeling more homey.
Here's a pic of the family room now-


On Friday Coop's school held a coffee time where the parents of the 3 boys came in and saw what they'd all been working on, what their day entails, etc. I had to take a cab there and back. This was my first time doing this by myself. I was SO freaked out that they wouldn't know how to get there, I wouldn't be able to communicate where to go...but, it was actually very smooth! It was nice to meet Shaveer's dad and Didi's mom. We had a nice chat. Afterwards was Cooper's first IEP there. They have created some lofty goals for him but they also really think he can achieve them. I've seen progress already so I look forward to the next 6 months!

Saturday was supposed to be my big TV interview with Tai Ping, my ayi. She told me that a tv crew would be coming to talk with me about having an ayi, what she can do, etc. They were to arrive at 10. Well, at 11 I called her bc I wasn't about to waste an entire Saturday waiting. See, in China, time is nothing. They'll tell you 10, and they may come at 10, but they also may come at 12, 2 or not at all. She says, oh, yes, they'd just left her place and would be there at 1130. Well, at 1210 she showed up with a photographer. That's it. He took some pics of her "playing" with the kids, her "teaching" me how to cook, me putting an apron on her (!!!), things like this. Honestly, people, all she does is clean my house. I'd love for her to teach me how to make dumplings and a really good stir fry or fried rice, but that hasn't happened yet. :)

Saturday night Cooper threw up so church was out for Sunday and, oh, did I need it. Sunday was very low for me. I was very homesick and very sad. And it was still cold and rainy...

Monday had definite highlights. I did my usual Monday thing of doing reading with Sophie's class. I love doing this and getting to know her classmates. That noon I hosted a baby shower for a Brit friend here. It's funny bc my British friends say it's such an American thing to have a shower before the baby is born. In the UK they all bombard the exhausted mother after she gets home from the hospital and give her gifts then. Poor new moms in Britain... ;)
Here are some pics of the celebration-
Anyone notice my very American diaper cake?? :)

The guest of honor, Penny-

Little Grace Isolbel did arrive on Monday the 26th of March, a few weeks early and just shy of 7 pounds. :) We had that party just in time!

Tuesday and Wednesday were lost to more sadness and depression. I also got a really bad cold then. Ugh. Writing about it now, it makes me irritated that this happened, but I'm not really sure how I could have prevented it. I hadn't been that depressed since I lived in California and was really homesick. I'm a homebody. I like where I live, I love me peeps, my church, my Coffee Break group. I was happy. *sigh* See, keep talking like that and I'll be right back there....

Anywho, Thursday was better, at first. I was invited to a German friend's house for coffee. Elke had arrived in Shanghai back in December but was shipped around to a few different temporary houses until finally settling in Ranco Santa Fe, by us! This was her housewarming party, of sorts. Liz with Isaac and Laura with Quinten and little ole me went. We had a lovely coffee and chat that morning. However, Coop came home from school looking like he'd had a run in with a slab of cement. His whole nose, from the bridge to his upper lip, was totally scraped up. When he got out of the car I just felt sick. My poor boy. :( He kept rubbing it so I know it bugged him. Apparently he had fallen while running on the playground. I have no reason to doubt it but nothing is ever as it seems here so I still question it a bit...

Friday was day 10 of single parenting (and it was still raining!!) so I decided to treat myself to a trip to Ikea. Amazing what a bit of retail therapy can do. :) I got some decorative pillows for the sofa and chairs and other things. The taxi ride there was fine and back was actually good too! This is big for me! :) That afternoon, Coop woke up from his nap with a raging case of pink eye. Yaaaaaaayy....
Off to the clinic here in SRC where we were seen quickly and left with eye drops. Pretty impressive and only about $100 for the visit and meds. And, once we file it with insurance, even less!

Saturday morning I woke up to the sun shining in my window and, even though I was still dreadfully sick with a cold, my heaviness of heart had lifted. It's weird. There one day, gone the next. Hard to say what made it go. Well, on Friday Sophie and I were reading when she looked at me and asked me, "Mom, why does your face look like that now?" Hmmm, she had noticed not all was well with me. I guess it would have been hard to miss but I felt bad that my 4 yr old saw it too. I prayed that night for relief and the next day I was out of the pit of depression. Sooooo glad to be out of it!!

Ben came home on Sunday afternoon and it was a glorious thing. Not only did I get my husband and other half back, I got my parental partner and...3 suitcases of goodies from home!!! Seriously, it was like Christmas. 90% of it was food stuff. It's all either too expensive that I'd never buy it here or they just don't sell it here. Fruit snacks and nutrigrain bars, carnation instant breakfast and low sugar oatmeal packets, peanut butter and parmesan, nutella and hamburger helper...all such great stuff!!! Sometimes it's the little things... :)

Monday I was treated to a lunch out downtown with Liz and another friend, Sally. It was a glorious sunny day and I got to eat my own food right when it came, while it was hot, and I didn't even have to feed anyone else or chase after anyone. It was a welcome treat and one I hope we repeat every month.

The last 2 days have been busy with this Mum-to-Mum sale I volunteered for. Tuesday was setup day where the 30 people brought their things and we organized it the whole day. Today was the actual sale and it was a mad house at times! Really, I only volunteered because it gave me first dibs on the goods. :) I got somes things for both kids so it was a success for me, but I'm exhuasted! Glad for tonight to just sit and blog. :)

So, that's what I've been up to. Nothing special, just the same stuff in a different place. Good days and bad.

Coop's nose is already almost healed and it'll only just be a week tomorrow. Good thing momma is a nurse. ;) His pink eye is gone and we cut his hair last night so now he's this adorable little boy again. He's been very vocal lately and very interactive and playful. Great eye contact, very little stimming. He's making progress. In the eyes of the world he is still very delayed but I can see it, for sure.

Prayer Requests:

-that the demon in my head named depression stays away. It was awful having it here again and I wish it to stay gone so I may be the mom and wife I need to be.

-that Cooper continue to progress and surprise us.

-that we have a safe flight to Cebu and a relaxing family vacation that is fun and bonding.

-another good friend had a baby boy on Monday in Traverse City, MI. His name is Oliver and he was born 5 weeks premature. He has already suffered from 2 collapsed lungs and is now with IVs, chest tubes and many more monitors. Please pray for his complete healing and for wisdom and peace for his parents, Scott and Erin.

Thanks again for reading. It's soooo late so I neeeeeeed to get to bed now. Funny bc Ben went to go play squash from 8 to 9 but he's not back yet (it's 1045pm). Hmmm... Me thinky squash ended at the club bar upstairs. So much for exercise! ;)
God bless and we'll chat again soon!

3 comments:

  1. I will continue praying for you and your family. Hang in there, Lori! We miss you too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with a small slice of that "What have I done?!" feeling. And let me just say being able to go home once a month has almost made it worse for me. I have no doubt we are were we are supposed to be, and that the difficult times are growing us in ways that are blessing us and those around us. Sending you hugs of understanding and prayers for better days (and more SUN!) Lori!
    Becky

    P.s. if it weren't for my horrible student budget, I'd send you more beer and home-reminding-things of comfort! I do know what those mean and how much you miss the small things that you took for granted before. My first meal when coming back home after being in Sweden is always pizza ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Lori!! Your feelings are so normal, so please don't worry too much. I am actually very impressed that you bounced back so quickly - even without a husband or family in the immediate area. You don't give yourself enough credit - you are so strong and amazing. China is a tough place to adjust to and I think you are doing a great job. And, living there will only make your return to the U.S. so much sweeter. : ) Love you and I'll keep praying for everything to go well!

    ReplyDelete